Making sure staff members receive clear and thoughtful feedback on their job performance is a practice that is consistently cited of best places to work. All staff members deserve to receive candid, high-quality feedback about their performance. The performance management process at Yale builds on a framework of providing meaningful feedback and ongoing coaching. The hallmarks of the process include joint goal setting between the supervisor and staff member, self-assessment by the staff member, and the opportunity to engage in productive discussions regarding performance at mid-year and year-end.
The annual performance management discussion is designed to:
- Provide clear and useful feedback to staff members about their performance on the past year’s goals;
- Elicit self-evaluations of staff members regarding their performance;
- Focus staff members on being the best they can be going forward;
- Improve communication between the manager and staff members; and,
- Identify strengths, talents and passions and planning ways to use them on the job.
As a part of performance management cycle, you will need to have frequent discussions throughout the year, prepare for the annual meeting, create a dialog by asking for input, listen and react positively to their contributions, clearly relate the impact of performance on the department, the customer, and the University, and focus on the future.
Below are guides and tools for more information. For assistance with performance management, contact your Human Resources Generalist.
Guides and information
- Frequently asked questions
- Tips for setting SMART goals
Forms and Tools
- Clerical & Technical performance management blank form, directions, and sample language
- Clerical and Technical self-assessment form, directions, and sample Language
- Managerial and Professional performance management blank form, directions, and sample language
- Managerial and Professional self-assessment form, directions , and sample language
Other learning resource(s)
- C&T performance management training
- Video: Performance Feedback for Clerical & Technical Employees and their Supervisors
- Managing at Yale Essentials
- Managing for Results
- Great Manager Program
- InsideOut Coaching