Frequently Asked Questions

The University uses emergency contact numbers and email addresses that are registered to communicate with you during emergencies. Programming the Yale Alert number, 203-432-5830, into your phone allows you to recognize a call or a text message that comes from this number in the case of an emergency. The Yale Alert system and all methods of emergency communications are tested community-wide four times per year. More information can be found on Public Safety Emergency Management’s website.

Call 911, the Yale Police at 203-432-4400, or call the New Haven Police. You may also contact the SHARE (Sexual Harassment and Assault Resources & Education) Center for advocacy, education, and support at 203-432-2000.

If you are in immediate danger, call 911. Otherwise, call Yale Police at 203-432-4400 to file a report.

If one of your Apple devices goes missing, sign in at or use the Find My iPhone app to see your missing Mac, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch on a map. With Lost Mode, you can immediately lock your device and send it a message with a contact number. Whoever finds your device can call you from the lock screen without accessing the rest of the information on your device. More information is available on the Apple website.

During business hours (9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.), undergraduates on campus should visit your Residential College Master’s Office to be let into your room. After office hours, call Yale Security at 203-785-5555 and a uniformed officer will be dispatched to your location to provide this service. You will be asked to sign a lockout form that will be given to your master’s or business office. Students, please be prepared to provide your name, contact information, the college in which you reside, entryway letter, room number, floor, and the last four digits of your social security number for verification purposes when calling Yale Security. You will be instructed to wait for the officer in front of the locked door. If you are able to open your door prior to the officer’s arrival, please call Yale Security and inform them that services are no longer needed.

YPD officers patrol campus and the area immediately surrounding it, while NHPD has jurisdiction for the entire city. Both police forces are composed of armed officers with full arrest powers. In case of an emergency always call 911; the call will go to either YPD or NHPD depending on your location. Either way, there will be a response to your location, by either the YPD alone or both departments. To reach the YPD directly for routine non-emergencies, call 203-432-4400.

You should call 911 immediately. You should not delay in calling, as any delay could be life threatening depending on the level of intoxication. The Police’s main focus is to get the person immediate medical attention and not to get you or them in trouble. The health and well-being of the person should far outweigh any concerns about disciplinary action.

The vast majority of crime on campus is property crime, especially involving electronic portable items such as laptops, cell phones, and iPods. Thieves are constantly looking for unattended, easily transportable, and valuable property to take. Most of the property stolen is left unattended in public areas or in unlocked rooms, public spaces (such as libraries), or offices. The best advice to follow is to never leave your property unattended and to always lock your door.

At our own University Security Central Alarm Station, located at 4 Bristol St.