All staff who can work at home should continue to do so. Only with an explicit request from a supervisor should a staff member return to campus. For more information, review COVID-19 Workplace Guidance.
Microsoft Teams: Get work done by working together
May 28, 2020
All members of the Yale community have access to Microsoft Teams, a cloud-based communication and collaboration workspace that is part of Office 365. Whether you are part of a project team, study group, department, or workgroup, Teams makes it easy for individuals and groups to have conversations, host meetings, share files, collaborate on documents, and get work done across the community.
Teams is a hub for teamwork. It helps teams stay organized and collaborate instantly by sharing information on a common platform that is available anytime, on any device. Teams is fully integrated with the entire Office 365 suite of products; as soon as you open it, you are ready to find, share, and add information. Invite everyone you work with to work together—chat, meet, call, and collaborate, all in one place. Take a look at the commonly used features to get an idea of what can be done using Teams.
- CHAT - Share your opinion, provide feedback, input in a group chat, or in one-to-one messages. Go to Start Chats and Calls and Work with posts and messages to learn more.
- MEET - Instantly go from group chat to video conference with the touch of a button. Teams of 10 or 10,000 can meet in one place, from wherever they are. Go to Set up and attend live events and Manage Meetings to learn more.
- COLLABORATE – The frantic, searching-for-files thing is no more. In Teams, you can access, share, and edit Word docs, PowerPoint, and Excel files in real-time. Go to Collaborate in teams and channels and Upload and find files to learn more.
- APP ADD-INS - Find content from your favorite services and share it right in Teams. Pin services, chat with bots, or share and assign tasks. Go to Add an App to Microsoft Teams to learn more.
WHEN CAN I START USING TEAMS?
You can start using Teams right now for all your collaboration needs by going to the Microsoft Teams Service Page.
HOW DO I ACCESS TEAMS?
- You can log into the Teams web portal at https://teams.microsoft.com using your Yale email address and NetID password. Alternately, you can launch the desktop application for Windows or MacOS by searching for Teams and selecting the Microsoft Teams icon. If you do not already have Teams installed, it can be obtained for managed workstations from the Software Center and for non-managed workstations, log into Teams using the web portal above and select the Download Desktop app icon in the navigation bar.
- Watch the Welcome to Teams video to see what Microsoft Teams can do for you and your teams.
- Use the Microsoft Teams Quick Start Guide to learn the basics.
I ALREADY USE A COLLABORATION TOOL, IS THAT TOOL GOING AWAY?
Microsoft Teams is being offered as an additional resource at this time and is not replacing other collaboration tools such as Skype for Business or Zoom.
HOW DO I GET TRAINING FOR MICROSOFT TEAMS?
Visit the Microsoft Teams Training site to access Video Training and Quick Start Guides.
Need more help or training? Review the Related Info and How-To Articles on the Microsoft Teams Service Page.
If you are experiencing an issue or have a question you cannot resolve through the Microsoft Teams Service Page or Microsoft End-user Training, we encourage you to contact your local IT Support Provider or the ITS Help Desk at 203-432-9000.