Reminder: Restricted Ledger Accounts on Journals
April 21, 2021
In the August 26, 2020 and March 31, 2021 issues of Business Update, a new journal entry control was announced. This control limits the ledger accounts that are available to distributed users, making certain accounts available only to Central Accountants and (in some cases) OSP Accountants. The initial control was merely an alert within Workday activated when a user picked the restricted ledger account. Effective April 21, 2021, this control was converted to a “hard stop,” preventing submission of journals containing restricted ledger accounts.
If a restricted Ledger Account is present, the journal entry will not complete, and the user will receive an error message (example below).
- Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with (and check your systems or spreadsheets for) restricted Ledger Accounts using the Ledger Account Restrictions document on the COA website’s Segment Values (Ledger Account) section.
- All individuals that upload spreadsheets (including service providers) or have system integrations are encouraged to build in extra time for correcting potential errors when this control becomes effective.
- For ledger accounts restricted to distributed users and requiring entry by a Central Accountant, please contact the Controller’s Office via email@example.com.
- For OSP-only ledger accounts requiring entry by an OSP Accountant, please contact your OSP Accountant or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All financial system questions and requests (including how to perform transactions, role assignments, and how to resolve error messages) should be sent to email@example.com. They are also in charge of escalating to FSS experts, Controller’s Office, Procurement, etc.
For questions pertaining to the overall use of ledger accounts please email the COA team via COA@yale.edu.