Skype for Business is being retired on May 21, 2021
May 12, 2021
- Microsoft is retiring Skype for Business in July 2021. The University is moving to Microsoft Teams tools for chat and online calling.
- On Friday, May 21, Yale ITS will decommission all Skype for Business accounts at Yale.
- You will still be able to chat with a Skype user if they initiate the chat. The system will automatically push the chat through to Teams.
- This retirement will not impact personal Skype accounts.
ITS updated all managed machines with Teams. If you are not using an ITS-managed computer, visit the Teams web portal using your Yale credentials to download the Teams app.
Teams has similar chat and call functions to Skype:
- Chat 1:1 or with groups and retain your chat history
- Send and receive chats to Skype users
- Quickly initiate audio/video calls from chat using your Outlook contacts
- Transfer calls
- Set up distinctive ring tones
- Paste images and files directly in the chat
- Easily use from mobile devices
- Access training links to help navigate the tool
Helpful tutorials to transition to Teams for your chat and call needs:
If you are experiencing an issue or have a question you cannot resolve through the Microsoft Teams service page or Microsoft Training, contact the ITS Help Desk at 203-432-9000. You can also visit the website to view answers to trending questions, search how-to articles, start a chat, or report a problem.