Recipe Corner December 2021 - Pumkin Bread
December 17, 2021
Submitted by Kathryn Scelzo
Makes Two loaves (9x5x3 inches) OR 3 loaves (8 1/2x4 1/2 x 2 1/2)
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (16 oz.) pumpkin
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts
- 2/3 cups raisins
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease bottoms of 2 loaf pans (9x5x3 inches) OR 3 loaf pans (8 1/2x4 1/2 x 2 1/2).
- Mix shortening and sugar in large bowl.
- Add eggs, pumpkin, and water.
- Blend in flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Optional – stir in nuts and raisins.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean – about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Loosen sides of loaves from pans.
- Remove from pans and cool completely before slicing.
To store, wrap and refrigerate no longer than 10 days.
You can also freeze the bread!
Share your recipe
Do you have a favorite recipe you’d like to share? Submit it here for a chance to be featured in an upcoming edition of The General Ledger.