Improved Windows updates beginning on or after November 15, 2022
November 9, 2022
- Mac users will not be impacted and may ignore this message.
- Windows Update, an improved mechanism for keeping Windows computers up to date with the latest security and feature updates will be deployed on ITS managed Windows computers on or after November 15, 2022.
- Windows users will see changes in notifications requesting they restart their computers.
- Computers with approved exemptions from automatic updates will continue to be exempt after this change is deployed.
- For some users, the first restart following this change may take longer than usual.
Yale ITS is moving to an improved method for applying operating system updates for Windows computers. This new process will keep Windows computers up to date with the latest security and feature releases.
- After updates have been applied, you may receive a notification that your computer needs to restart.
- You will have three options: Pick a Time, Restart Tonight, or Restart Now.
- Whenever prompted, you may continue to pick a new time to restart for up to seven days, after which you will be informed when your computer will restart and given the opportunity to restart immediately.
- The seven-day window leading up to a forced restart gives you the ability to schedule your restart for when it is convenient for you.
- Following this change, your first restart may take longer than usual.
For more information on Windows Updates, including examples of the restart notifications, please reference KB0026172.
Technology plays a critical and growing role in the University’s mission. Learn more about your part in safeguarding Yale on the Cybersecurity website.
If you have questions about this initiative, please contact the ITS Help Desk.