1800 PR.03 Tenant Services Agreements

Revision Date: 
March 11, 2022


1.     Overview

2.     Requesting Tenant Services

3.     Informing the Tenant Services Unit of Changes

4.     Emergency Services

1. Overview

This procedure describes the circumstances surrounding Tenant Services Agreements and the process for requesting services and repairs through the Tenant Services unit of University Properties (“Tenant Services unit”).

Tenant Services Agreements cover interior work performed by outside suppliers in spaces in which Yale is a commercial tenant.  While the landlord of space leased to Yale provides basic services, the University often hires another company to provide services exclusively for Yale in the leased space.  University Properties is the only unit authorized to negotiate, execute, and manage Tenant Services Agreements.

The Tenant Services unit is responsible for contracting with non-Yale contractors to perform routine maintenance, non-routine repairs, and building infrastructure-related requests smaller than those that would be handled by Facilities Small Projects.  These include light bulb and ballast replacements, minor electrical and plumbing repairs and alterations, installations of white boards, standing work stations, etc.  The Tenant Services unit is responsible for contracting for services not covered by the landlord and lease agreement.  The Tenant Services unit does not provide services for laboratory-specific equipment.  For such requests, contact equipment manufacturers or authorized maintenance providers directly.   

2. Requesting Tenant Services

Tenant services fall into one of three categories: 1) routine services; 2) repairs; and 3) miscellaneous requests.

  • Routine services include custodial services and preventative maintenance. 
  • Repairs include maintenance and repair work to specific areas or equipment in need of service.
  • Miscellaneous Requests include specific work other than routine services and repairs.  Examples include the installation of whiteboards and standing work stations, among many other requests.  Miscellaneous requests should describe the nature of the work to be performed and include the charging instructions to which the work should be billed.  The Tenant Service unit will confirm large and out-of-the-ordinary requests with the appropriate business administrator.

Submitting Tenant Services Requests

Submit the tenant services requests described above by accessing the FLATS work-order system.  Users log into the system by typing “flats.yale.edu” into their web browser (PLEASE NOTE that creating a “favorite” in the search engine will not work; rather, “flats.yale.edu” must be typed into the browser every time).  Once the FLATS page is entered in the browser, users log in via the Central Authentication System (“CAS”) using their Yale credentials and then follow the steps described below:

  • Once in the system, users pick the building where the work needs to be done (Property), then the floor, and then the room (Space).
  • All work orders start out with “Type” as “New Request.”  The subtypes for “New Request” are “Elective Work” and “Building Work,” which correlate to a request (elective) versus a repair (building).
  • Users use the “Describe Your Request” field to provide details of their request.  (Note: Users may also use the dropdown menu for more specific request types.  Each type has its own subtypes.  More common request types are near the top of the list (e.g., temperature and electrical issues, cleaning, etc.))
  • For miscellaneous requests (elective work), users will be prompted to enter charging instructions (i.e., a Chart of Accounts (“COA”) string) in the ACCOUNTS section.  To enter a COA string, user scroll down to the section, click the arrow at the far left to open it, and click “Add Another Account Group.”
  • Users may use the “Email CC” field to enter the email address(es) of anyone else they want to receive notifications/status updates.  Please separate addresses using COMMAS: (john.doe@yale.edu, jane.doe@yale.edu).  These email addresses are not visible to the vendor, so if there is a need to provide alternate contact info for scheduling, please do so in the body of the request (the description).
  • Click “OK” to submit.  A request number will be generated and routed to the appropriate party.  Users may log in at any time to update the request or check the status by using the MY REQUEST tab or FIND REQUEST tab and typing the request number into the appropriate field.

3. Informing the Tenant Services Unit of Changes

Yale units that utilize tenant services are responsible for informing the Tenant Services unit of any changes in the service needs of the unit within the leased space.  Most importantly, Yale units are responsible for informing the Tenant Services unit if and when the space the unit occupies is changing locations.  If a unit plans to change locations, the unit is responsible for contacting the Tenant Services unit a minimum of two (2) weeks in advance of the planned move to discuss the change in required services.  The unit is responsible for any costs associated with the move, the change in occupancy, and any changes in services.

In addition, units are responsible for informing the Tenant Services unit of any significant changes in a unit’s existing physical footprint.  Significant changes include, but are not limited to, vacating a space or altering the core function of a space (e.g., converting office space to server rooms, adding scientific equipment, etc.).  Units should also inform the Tenant Services unit of significant increases or decreases in the occupancy of leased space.

4. Emergency Services

For all space in which Yale is a commercial tenant, emergency services are provided by emergency responders.

For all force majeure (including fire, flood, earthquake, tornado, hurricane, etc.) and circumstances involving hazardous materials or risk of loss of life, call 911.

For all emergencies that are not life-threatening and all other non-emergency situations in which assistance is required, including afterhours requests, contact Facilities Operations at 203-432-6888.  Please note that requests are subject to availability.