3503 PR.02 Promotions & Transfers

Revision Date: 
May 23, 2017


1.     Overview

2.     Promotion or Transfer Through a Job Posting

3.     Promotion or Transfer Through the “Change Job” Workday Business Process

4.     Transition Tasks

5.     Payroll Costing Allocations and Payroll Accounting Adjustments

Current staff employees can be promoted or transferred in one of two ways:

  • Via a job posting; or
  • Via a promotion, transfer, or reclassification.

For the hiring manager, the process of promoting or transferring a current employee through a job posting is the same as the process of hiring a new staff employee, except that there is no need to do a background check or create a new employee record.  See Procedure 3503 PR.01 Hiring New Staff Employees.

A Yale employee who seeks a promotion or transfer by applying for a job posting in STARS (Strategic Talent-management and Recruitment System) should refer to the Internal Applicants website.  The Internal Applicants website provides an overview of the hiring process, and explains how to apply to a job in STARS, how to search for job openings, how to submit a resume, and how to upload a cover letter, as well as other useful information. 

If the promotion or transfer is through a job posting, skip the next section (Section 3) and continue with Section 4.

If the promotion or transfer is not processed through a job posting, but instead through a promotion, transfer, or reclassification, the hiring manager should contact their Human Resources Generalist to determine which “Change Job” business process reason should be selected.  Following are the types of “Change Job” business process reasons used for promotions, transfers, and reclassifications processed without a job posting, and an explanation of when and why each is used:

  • Promotion-In Seat: used when someone is staying in the same Workday seat/position number, even if the job profile is changing.
  • Transfer: used when someone is moving to a different Workday seat/position number, even if the job profile is not changing.
  • Negotiated Agreement: used in tandem with either a Promotion-In Seat or a Transfer when the affected employee is moving to or being changed in a bargaining unit position.
  • Reclassification: used when an employee’s job profile is being changed based upon the work they have been performing.

For further information on promoting, transferring, or reclassifying current staff, see the following Workday@Yale Training guides:

After the appropriate business process has been completed, the employee record will be automatically updated. 

If the promotion or transfer involves a change in departments, the employee’s old department must perform certain additional steps prior to the effective date of the employee’s new position, as listed in Form 3503 FR.02 Promotion & Transfer Checklist.

End Date Payroll Costing Allocation

Before the employee assumes a new position and moves to the new department, the old department should end-date any Worker Position Level and Worker Position Earning Level Payroll Costing Allocation.  The end date should be the day before the date the employee assumes the new position.

  • If the old payroll costing allocation is not end-dated, and the new department does not enter a new allocation, the employee’s earnings will continue to be charged to the old payroll costing allocation, resulting in a need for a payroll accounting adjustment.  (Such adjustments will have to be entered by the new department, since the old department will no longer have access to the employee record in Workday.)
  • Timely end-dating of the old payroll costing allocation will prevent such errors and the resulting extra work.

Payroll Accounting Adjustments (PAA)

The old department should be sure that any necessary PAAs involving the employee’s payroll charges are submitted and approved before the employee’s position changes to the new department.

  • If any of the employee’s payroll costs have been charged to a default account, these should be cleared.
  • Once the employee moves to a new position in the new organization, the old department will no longer have access to the employee record.
  • After the start of the new assignment, if the old department finds that a PAA involving the employee’s pay is needed (e.g., the department discovers after the employee has left that a portion of the employee’s pay was charged to a default account), the old department should complete Form 3501 FR.03 Payroll Accounting Adjustment Form and submit the worksheet to the new department. The new department will need to process the PAA.

Enter New Payroll Costing Allocation

Once the new department has access to the employee’s record (i.e., on or after the effective date of the new assignment), the new payroll costing allocation should be entered with appropriate start dates.

Be sure the new payroll costing allocation is entered before the first applicable payroll run date.  Refer to the online payroll schedule.