5002 PR.01 Remote Work Expectations and Implementation
This procedure supports Policy 5002 Remote Work Policy. It details the expectations and implementation procedures applicable to Remote Work arrangements for managerial, professional, and excluded staff members (“Covered Staff Members”) working pursuant to an approved Remote-Designated Function or an approved Individualized Remote Work Arrangement.
Requests for approval of Remote-Designated Functions or an Individualized Remote Work Arrangement must be submitted by a Vice President or Dean (“executive leader”) or their designee in accordance with the Remote Work Approval Process.
An executive leader or their designee initiates the approval process for a Remote-Designated Function by consulting with the unit’s Human Resources Generalist who will provide further guidance and assistance with the formal approval process.
An executive leader or their designee initiates the approval process for an Individualized Remote Work Arrangement by submitting a completed Remote Work Form to the unit’s Human Resources Generalist, who will provide further guidance and assistance with the formal approval process.
Lead Administrators or their designees, managers of Covered Staff Members, and Covered Staff Members are responsible for compliance with the following terms and conditions governing Remote Work.
The terms of the Covered Staff Member’s Remote Work Arrangement should be documented in writing, with a copy provided to the Covered Staff Member.
Covered Staff Members are responsible for maintaining an off-campus workspace in a safe, professional, and secure manner with sufficient internet access to effectively perform their work. Off-campus workspaces may not be located in public, commercial locations unless pre-approved by the Covered Staff Member’s manager.
With reasonable notice, Covered Staff Members may be required to report to an on-campus or alternative off-campus location due to operational needs, for the purpose of attending meetings, trainings, or similar events of defined duration, or to receive additional performance support and guidance. When a Covered Staff Member working pursuant to an approved Remote-Designated Function or an approved Individualized Remote Work Arrangement is requested by the work unit to report to an on-campus location, the following applies:
- For Covered Staff Members located further than 100 miles (one-way trip distance) from campus, the University considers reasonable costs consistent with University policy associated with that travel to be reimbursable/covered business expenses; and
- For Covered Staff Members located 100 miles or closer to campus, Covered Staff Members are responsible for the costs associated with their travel to and from campus.
All University travel is governed by Policy 3301 Travel on University Business.
Covered Staff Members are expected to be available and accessible during regularly scheduled and approved work hours, as determined by the department, with changes to their established work schedules to be agreed upon in advance. It is expected that Covered Staff Members will minimize personal interruptions to maintain appropriate work focus. Covered Staff Members who are overtime eligible are responsible for accurately accounting for all hours worked and may not work overtime unless authorized in advance.
The University will not reimburse or pay for home internet service to support Remote Work (see Policy 1109 Internet Access from Home). Information technology equipment must be purchased in accordance with Policy 3201 General Purchasing, properly set up and secured by Information Technology Services (“ITS”), and provided to the Covered Staff Member at an on-campus location or through an approved shipping method (see Policy 1430 Shipping). Based on job needs, it is recommended that the work unit provide the following:
- Computing device (laptop or desktop);
- Two external monitors, regardless of whether computing device is a laptop or desktop;
- One keyboard;
- One mouse;
- One headset;
- One universal docking station; and
- One video camera.
Work units may, in their discretion, determine that Covered Staff Members require more or less than this recommended information technology equipment set-up depending on their job needs. Incremental purchases of information technology equipment are permitted with approval from both the Covered Staff Member’s direct supervisor and Lead Administrator. Examples of incremental purchases include, but are not limited, to additional monitors or docking stations, printers, scanners, or shredders.
Covered Staff Members working pursuant to an approved Remote-Designated Function or an approved Individualized Remote Work Arrangement must adhere to Yale Information Security guidelines for remote work. Covered Staff Members are responsible for the physical security of University-supplied equipment and may be held liable for loss or damage that is caused by their negligence or misconduct. The University is responsible for the repair and upgrade of any University-owned equipment due to normal wear and tear. If the unit’s Lead Administrator, or their designee, authorizes a Covered Staff Member to purchase necessary equipment, the University considers reasonable costs associated with such purchases to be reimbursable/covered business expenses.
The purchase of office supplies by Covered Staff Members working pursuant to an approved Remote Work Arrangement is governed by the University’s purchasing processes and guidelines (Policy 3201 General Purchasing), as well as the processes established by the work unit’s Lead Administrator.
- For Covered Staff Members located further than 100 miles (one-way trip distance) from campus: the Lead Administrator may establish processes, consistent with Policy 3201 General Purchasing, to provide office supplies to Covered Staff Members. Such processes may include, but are not necessarily limited to, the examples described in University Financial and Resource Support for Flex Place Arrangements for Managerial and Professional and Excluded Staff. The Lead Administrator or their designee is responsible for establishing a unit process for implementation and for monitoring expenses incurred to ensure the business purpose and reasonableness of such office supply expenses.
- For Covered Staff Members located 100 miles or closer to campus: it is expected that work units will purchase office supplies based on departmental needs and that Covered Staff Members will obtain supplies on campus directly from their department. If this is not feasible for a Covered Staff Member, the Lead Administrator, or their designee, may develop and implement an alternative process for distributing office supplies.
Unless otherwise required by law or policy, off-campus office furniture or décor, including chairs and lighting, will not be provided by the University or reimbursed.
A work unit must define the “reasonable notice” that will be provided to Covered Staff Members before changes are made to their Remote Work Arrangement. The University/work unit reserves the right to depart from the reasonable notice requirement in the event of an operational emergency.
All equipment and supplies purchased with University funds are owned by the University. Staff members must return all University-supplied equipment and other University property, including, but not limited to, intellectual property or other confidential information, upon the conclusion of their Remote Work arrangement or employment. The unit’s Lead Administrator, or their designee, is responsible for securing the timely and complete return of all University property from the Covered Staff Member.