Upcoming Changes to the NIH Biographical Sketch and Other Support
June 16, 2021
On March 12, 2021, the NIH issued NOT-OD-21-073, Upcoming Changes to the NIH Biographical Sketch and Other Support. On April 28, 2021, NIH issued Notice NOT-OD-21-110 delaying the required use of the new Biographical Sketch and Other Support format pages until January 25, 2022.
I encourage all faculty who are engaged in NIH research to review these notices, along with the related format instructions and frequently asked questions, to familiarize themselves with the new requirements.
The Office of Sponsored Projects will be working with school administrators over the coming months to provide necessary support to operationalize the response to these new requirements, wherever possible.
An overview of significant changes, in effect on January 25, 2022, is as follows:
- Format Page has been revised to include all positions and scientific appointments both domestic and foreign.
- Positions and Honors has been renamed to Positions, Scientific Appointments and Honors
- Section D has been updated to remove “Research Support”
- New format with sections to disclose all sources of other support and related information.
- NIH has emphasized that investigators must disclose all sources of Other Support (Total costs (Direct and Indirect) for the entire project period) and related information, including outside activities (e.g. consulting that involves research, visiting professorships) if conducting research, in-kind support, and gifts if donor expects anything in return (e.g. time, services, research).
- Investigators must submit supporting documentation, including contracts, grants, or any other agreement, for foreign appointments/ employment in connection with foreign activities and resources reported in Other Support
- Effective January 25, 2022, this will be mandatory for all senior/key personnel.
- If the contracts, grants or other agreements are not in English, recipients must provide translated copies.
- NIH has reserved the right to request copies of any contracts, grants or any other agreements that are related to faculty research endeavors reported in Other Support. If NIH requests additional documentation, please contact the appropriate award manager in OSP before providing the requested documents.
- PD/PI or senior/key personnel must electronically sign the following certification on each Other Support page:
- I, PD/PI or other senior/key personnel, certify that the statements herein are true, complete and accurate to the best of my knowledge, and accept the obligation to comply with Public Health Services terms and conditions if a grant is awarded as a result of this application. I am aware that any false, fictitious, or fraudulent statements or claims may subject me to criminal, civil, or administrative penalties.
- Immediate notification of undisclosed Other Support. When a recipient organization discovers that a PI or other Senior/Key personnel on an active NIH grant failed to disclose Other Support information outside of Just-in-Time or the RPPR, as applicable, the recipient must submit updated Other Support to the Grants Management Specialist named in the Notice of Award as soon as it becomes known.
For your convenience, the attached table provides more information on the implementation of these new requirements.
Pamela S. Caudill
Senior Associate Provost for Research Administration
Office of Research Administration
25 Science Park, 150 Munson St, Room 322
P.O. Box 208327
New Haven CT 06520-8327