Issues with your landlord

Are you having issues with your landlord?

All lease and tenant issues​ should be addressed first with the property owner directly.


Legal Actions

The Graduate Student Assembly’s legal aid program can offer assistance in circumstances where a tenant would like to pursue legal action. Each month during the academic year, graduate students have the opportunity ​to meet with volunteer lawyers from the New Haven Bar Association for a one-on-one consultation. Graduate students can also access a list of local attorneys for free consultations and discounted service fees. If interested in this list, please email the Assistant Dean of the Graduate School, Richard Sleight.

Note: This Attorney Referral List has been compiled to assist graduate students in finding legal services at an affordable rate. Yale University is not responsible for the quality of the services provided, for the ultimate outcome of any matter, or for the terms of any agreement entered into with an attorney on this list.

Other groups may help advocate for you against your landlord:

If the conflict remains unresolved and you would like to request assistance from the Off Campus Living Office, please fill out the Assistance Request form.