Yale commuters who share the ride to work can:
- Receive up to four Guaranteed Ride Homes annually.
- Log trips in CTrides Commuter Rewards to earn restaurant coupons, local retailer discounts, and tickets to shows and attractions
- Use pre-tax savings to pay for monthly vanpool expenses. Visit Commuter Benefits.
- Apply for a rideshare to take advantage of these benefits.
Find a carpool
The university has partnered with CTrides to help Yale community members find each other through the CTrides platform. Find members who live and work less than two miles from you.
- All members of a carpool commit to carpooling for their commute every day except for days they use their free one-day permits.
- Regular full-time and part-time Yale employees who receive a Yale paycheck are eligible for participation in the carpool benefit. Casual Employees are NOT eligible for this benefit.
- Participants must live outside of the Yale Shuttle boundary (white area on the map) to be eligible for discounted parking.
- If eligible, fill out a 2-person or 3+ person rideshare webform online to register a carpool with Yale’s Parking Office.
- You will be contacted within 5 business days after receipt of your application. It may take up to a month for the resulting payroll deduction change to be reflected in your paycheck.
The carpool parking discount is based on the number of passengers in the vehicle. Two people save 50% each, three people save 67% each, etc. View available carpool rates. Plus, each carpool member receives three free one-day parking permits per month to use on days when carpooling is inconvenient. The primary carpooler receives unlimited garage access, each additional carpooler receives their free stays loaded on an access card or ID in their assigned lot.
Carpools are allowed within Yale owned lots and garages only. All carpool applications will be reviewed on a case by case basis and lot assignments will be determined by the parking office. Every effort will be made to assign you to the lot of your preference.
Should any member of a carpool cancel their participation, it is the responsibility of each remaining member to contact the Parking Office to cancel their carpool or provide the information of replacement member(s). Any member(s) who fail to do this will be responsible for back payment of the full cost of their parking permit(s).
You may terminate the carpool at any time and every effort will be made to assign you to the lot of your preference. You will resume paying the full price for your annual parking permit once your carpool is terminated.
Find a vanpool
Find a vanpool (or propose a new one). If you do not see a convenient origin/destination pairing listed, please contact vRide at 1-800-VAN RIDE (826-7433).
Vanpooling is a cost effective alternative for your daily commute, since vanpool members share the cost You can ride most vanpools on a full-time or occasional basis, whichever fits your schedule. Full-time passengers have reserved seats and ride on a month-to-month basis. Occasional passengers ride on a space-available basis and pay a set fee per trip. And if you’re the driver, you get free use of the van after-hours!
- Fill out a 3+ person rideshare webform online to register a vanpool with Yale’s Transportation Options Office.
You will be contacted within 5 business days after receipt of your application. It may take up to a month for the resulting payroll deduction change to be reflected in your paycheck.