Updates for Train Riders
If you commute via train, below are some upcoming changes to services and other valuable information to help with your travels.
- Effective August 22, CTrail Hartford Line tickets (except 10-ride tickets) are valid on CTtransit Express 950 routes, which offers customers additional mid-day options between Hartford and New Haven. Visit HartfordLine.com for more details.
- Recently, Metro-North New Haven Line connections were revised to allow more options and shorter connection times for customers transferring to or from the New Haven Line from the CTrail Hartford Line or CTrail Shore Line East. Visit ShoreLineEast.com or HartfordLine.com for updated schedules.
- The MTA is seeking customer feedback on Metro-North service and traveling during the pandemic. Even if you haven’t been riding lately, your opinion is still valuable as they work to make your ride better now and in the future. Complete the survey and you could win one of several $100 gift cards. Sign up to receive a survey invitation.
- Transit users can use pre-tax savings to receive a discount on passes, may qualify for up to three free parking stays per month, and are eligible for our guaranteed free ride home program. Learn more.
Benefits of Riding the Train
Yale commuters who use the train to get to work can:
- Use pre-tax savings to receive a discount on passes. Visit the Commuter Benefits page to learn more.
- Receive up to 3 free parking stays per month to use on days when you need your car.
- Count on a Guaranteed Ride Home.
- Purchase CTrail eTix using a smartphone.
- Log trips in CTrides Commuter Rewards to earn restaurant coupons, local retailer discounts, and tickets to shows and attractions.
New Haven is served by two train stations:
Looking for service to/from:
- The Connecticut Shoreline? Shoreline East
- New York City? Metro North
- Harford? The Hartford Line
- Northeast Corridor and beyond? Amtrak
Transportation between New Haven Train Stations and Campus
Union Station Shuttle
The Union Station shuttle connects the New Haven Green, various downtown locations, parking, and Union Station—every 20 minutes. View the map and schedule.
The Yale Shuttle provides service between Union Station and and campus destinations. Please note that there are now TWO shuttle stop locations in front of Union Station. If the stop directly in front of the station is congested, shuttle drivers pick up in front of the parking garage. Please look for Shuttles in both locations.
For information on access to train stations at your place of origin, contact the local transit authority or town/city government where the train station is located. Some towns offer commuter connection services and most manage parking arrangements at the train stations.
Train Rider Advocacy
If you are interested in advocating for more and better train service, consider joining the CT Rail Commuter Council.