Individual career coaching sessions are available for employees who wish to develop their careers at Yale. The coaching can focus on any of the following development topics:
- Assessing skills, interests, and values
- Administration and interpretation of the Myers Briggs Type Indicator
- Resume, cover letter, and interview preparation
- Exploring job options and targeting career goals
- Assistance with developing an action plan
- Individual online brand management
Eligibility and Scheduling an Appointment
Yale University offers career coaching for all staff. Employees are limited to a maximum of three career coaching appointments (based on the coach’s discretion and availability). The first appointment will serve as an intake and may last up to 60 minutes. The two appointments that follow may last up to 45 minutes and can cover a variety of topics, including: career development planning, development discussion planning (for managers and staff), continuing education, assessment review, networking and informational interviewing, resume review, cover letter review, interview skills practice, and online branding.
Interested staff should contact firstname.lastname@example.org and include their completed Client Profile so that coaches have some information about their goals prior to meeting. Appointments will not be scheduled until the Client Profile has been submitted (all questions must be answered). The Organizational Effectiveness and Staff Development team will respond to your email within two business days and assign you a coach. We will do our best to accommodate your request, but please note, there may be limitations based on capacity and need.
Preparation for the First Meeting
Once a coach reaches out to you, he or she will ask you to send the following within two business days of the appointment.
- The completed and signed “Career Coaching Agreement” (coach will send this to you).
- Most recent resume.
- Individual Development Plan (IDP) (if you have completed one during your time at Yale University).
After the Appointment
Feedback is very important to us and we want to learn about how to improve our services. The coach will follow up within two business days of your appointment and send you a link to the confidential online evaluation form.