Place content here. This is a site-wide alert banner.
Chart of Accounts (COA)
The Chart of Accounts (COA) is a set of codes used to classify and record financial transactions in meaningful ways. It provides the structure for reporting and monitoring financial activity at Yale. The COA consists of segments and descriptive attributes that help the University organize financial information for:
- Internal reporting and financial management
- External reporting and compliance
- Effective management of restricted funds
Different COA segments tell us information such as:
- How an activity was funded
- Who is responsible for financial oversight of the transaction (i.e., which department incurred the expense or earned income)
- What is the activity in which the unit engaged (i.e., mission, line of business and detailed activities)
- How to “account” for something purchased or sold
Consistent use of the COA on transactions is crucial to enable consistent and meaningful reporting for faculty, staff, University leadership, and external users.
Click for Detailed Information and Resources about the COA.
FY2017 Year-end Timetable for Reorganizations (hierarchy changes)
Below please find the timetable for Org and Org hierarchy changes. Due to the transition between financial systems, we have specified Oracle Org vs. Workday Cost Center. Items noted in italics below (April and October; tentative nature of September resume) are new this year due to the rebuild of YBT.
Please also note that COA segment closures do not take place during the year-end period close. As such, the last segment closures occur with the May month-end in calendar June. Closures generally resume with the September month-end in calendar October. This may be delayed an additional month in fiscal 2018.
- April month-end (calendar May) – Last opportunity for Oracle Org reorgs between Planning Units/Target Units; includes any approved Workday cost center reorgs received
- May month-end (calendar June) – Last opportunity for Oracle Org reorgs within Planning Unit/Target Unit; no Workday cost center reorgs
No Oracle Org or Workday Cost Center Modifications:
- June month-end (calendar July)
- July month-end (calendar Aug)
- Aug month-end (calendar Sept)
- TENTATIVE - Sept month-end (calendar Oct) – Resume Workday cost center reorgs – within Planning Unit only
- Oct month-end (calendar Nov) – Resume Workday cost center reorgs – between Planning Units
A Note about Terminology
Until March 2016, the Workday @ Yale team had used the term Financial Data Model (FDM) to represent the Workday Chart of Accounts, the full Workday data structure and individual segments of the chart of accounts. Please note the following terms below that will be used from April 2016 forward:
|Today we call it …||Tomorrow we will call it …||What is it?|
Oracle Chart of Accounts
Chart of Accounts
Workday Chart of Accounts
Chart of Accounts
General term to describe the full set of data points used for standard accounting and financial reporting.
In Workday this includes delivered pieces of the Workday Financial Data Model (FDM) and also some worktags that are configured by Yale.
|COA Segments||COA Segments||
Each individual piece of the chart of accounts - the buckets.
The list of values for each segment are called the “segment values”.
|Charging Instructions||Accounting string - PTAEO|
|Expenditure Type||Ledger Account||COA segment used for general ledger accounting (revenue, expense, assets, liabilities)|