Workday Chart of Accounts
Workday @ Yale
For news and information about the Workday program, please refer to the Workday @ Yale website at http://workday.yale.edu/. Check out “Program Resources” and the “Communications Toolkit - Core Concepts”.
Workday COA Information and Resources
- Workday COA Introductory Video (as of 7/7/2016) - printable excerpt added 08/07/17)
- COA Segment Definitions (updated 8/30/16)
- Hierarchies - shows levels of and structures for the hierarchies for the various COA segments (*NEW on 12/19/2016*)
- Cost Center Hierarchy - shows the levels of and structure for the cost center hierarchy (updated 6/8/16)
- Business Use Case Guide - a resource to help business offices determine what COA segment (and sometimes what segment value) to use in specific business circumstances (updated 06/22/17). Additional information added for Yale Service Providers (updated 04/09/17). Additional information added for non-Yale Agencies (updated 07/06/17).
- Related Worktags - explains related worktags, how they are used and how they impact our conversion of historical charging instructions (*NEW on 10/13/16*)
- Relationships between Accounting Components - shows the relationships between Ledger Accounts, Categories, and Items (updated on 06/16/17)
- Locations in Workday - explains how Oracle building orgs became Workday Locations (*NEW on 06/20/17*)
- Basic Configuration of COA Segments - primarily geared towards the “Impacted Systems” workstream and related IT Partners (updated 8/04/16)
- Grant Mapping - Overview - provides further information about the conversion of grants from Oracle to Workday (*NEW on 12/07/16*)
- Introduction to Worktags - provides an overview of Worktags, which are the building blocks of the charging instructions within Workday Financials (*NEW on 01/06/17*)
- Workday COA Charging Instructions Form - this form can be used when sharing/providing/transmitting charging instructions for Workday transactions. (updated 08/07/17)
Workday COA Request Forms
All Workday COA forms are subject to change as we start working in our new system. Please continue to come here to get the most updated forms.
Submit all forms to firstname.lastname@example.org. By submitting requests to COA, you certify that this request meets the COA segment definitions and business use cases detailed above. PLEASE DO NOT SCAN FORMS FOR SUBMISSION. If you scan them, COA cannot add the other information required for processing; you will be asked to resend the original excel files and/or writeable PDF forms.
Each form is set up to handle a single request. If you have a large volume of requests, please DO NOT complete a separate form for each item. Instead, please complete one form’s “General Information” section and include in excel the items in the “Information from Requestor” section. Ex: If you need to make a modification to 10 projects, complete one project modification form with an excel sheet containing the ten rows for the 10 projects requiring modification.
Workday COA Segment Values
We are pleased to share listings of certain COA segments and/or provide you with the links to reports in Workday. Please refer to the Chart of Accounts definitions to get an understanding of how these values should be used. You may be required to log in via CAS in order to view these documents.
- Yale Designated in Hierarchy View
- Cost Centers in Hierarchy View
- Program Hierarchy Definitions (as of 03/31/17)
- Programs in Hierarchy View (as of 08/03/17)
- Projects in Hierarchy View (as of 08/03/17)
- Assignee - does not have a hierarchy
- Spend Category
- Revenue Category (as of 08/10/17)
- Ledger Account (as of 08/10/17)
- Grant in Hierarchy View (as of 08/03/17)
- Expense Items
- Fund in Hierarchy View
- Locations (as of 08/08/17)
- Ledger Accounts with Spend/Revenue Categories - this report provides information about the system relationships between Ledger Account and Spend/Revenue Categories. For all transactions other than journal entries, when a user selects a Spend or Revenue Category, the system will use these “rules” to post to the proper Ledger Account. In journal entries, users must enter a Ledger Account (and when it is Revenue or Expense, also a Spend Category or Revenue Category). This report can help users ensure the proper pairs.
Tools - Transition from Oracle PTAEO to Workday COA
The following suite of tools has been made available by the Workday @ Yale Program to help the business community understand the transition from the Oracle PTAEO to the Workday COA. The goal of these tools is twofold:
- Provide departments with direct access to Oracle PTAEO to Workday COA mappings
- Provide context to the mappings through “converted” financial information – how certain financial transactions and balances will look in the new Workday COA
Departmental business offices and central financial staff will use these tools to help support the continued refinement of COA segment mappings and development of local and university charging instructions. The conversion mappings will continue to be available for refinement over the coming months, until the early spring when the Workday @ Yale program will stabilize and eventually “freeze” during implementation.
What PTAEOs are subject to “conversion” and included in the results of these tools?
The Workday Financials team will be converting four years of historical information into Workday (FY14 – FY17) and two years of budget data (FY16 – FY17). This includes only the net impact of transactions, not the transactions themselves. We are mapping to the Workday Chart of Accounts all of the PTAO combinations required to support this conversion.
New PTAEO combinations are added to the conversion tools weekly as they are used in Oracle financial systems. If you are looking for a PTAEO combination and do not see it in the mapping or conversion tools it means:
- That PTAO/PTAEO was never used in Oracle or YBT, or has not been used during the conversion period.
- Is new and has not been used yet. When it has been used, it will be brought into the mapping and conversion tools.
Reminders about Conversion Tool Output:
The conversion mappings are designed for historical financial information only and is only a starting point for the segments that you will use starting July 2017. Please check with your business office for final charging instructions on Workday transactions.
|LINK TO TOOL||LINK TO USER GUIDE||DESCRIPTION|
|User Guide - Brio||
This is a BUG format report dashboard that will provide direct, on-demand access to the PTAEO to WD COA mappings.
This report dashboard does not provide financial transaction or balance data. Certain reports will contain columns formatted for business office staff to use in connection with unit mapping update requests to COA. The COA mappings are updated weekly.
*See reminders above this table*
|PTAEO to COA Converter||
This is a web-based tool that converts a single PTAEO to the full Workday COA string. It can also be used for batch uploads of PTAEOs. This tool contains segment-only conversions and does not provide financial transaction or balance data.
*See reminders above this table*
|BUG307b Sortable Detail Transaction with Workday Chart of Accounts||User Guide – 307b||A copy of BUG307a is being made available as BUG307b which adds a column for each Workday COA field that corresponds to the Oracle PTAEO for FY14-17 transactions.|
|User Guide – YBT Viewer||Two reports have been developed for current YBT users which show budget or actual data for a given fiscal year grouped by Workday cost center and ledger account only, or by multiple COA segments.|
|DWH Views for Technical Staff||User Guide – AdHoc||This document describes tables and fields that are available to technical staff to support system remediation. Ad hoc queries should NOT be used to understand individual segment or PTAEO conversion; for this use the mapping brio report dashboard above.|
This is a web-based tool that validates Chart of Account (COA). This tool can be used for validating both a single set of COA charging instructions or a batch of COA charging instructions. In addition to validating each individual COA segment, the validator also looks at the combination of certain COA segments to ensure they are valid. The tool shows a set of pre-determined validation error messages upon validation of segments.
Note: The tool is currently in a test environment and will be in production when Workday Financials goes live in July 2017.
|COA Converter/Confirmation Tool||No guide available||
This web-based tool allows ISPs and other units to upload a spreadsheet of PTAOs with identifying information, and convert them to WD COA based on the Workday mapping tables. The tool batches uploadsand sends one file to the Lead Administrator that was mapped to the COA on 7/20. The LA can validate the COA. Contact: Rick Dwyer
|COA Confirmation Tool||Instructions found inside of tool||
This tool is best used on a small number of PTAEOs that have already been converted. It allows units to correspond with Lead Administrators about converted charging instructions. This tool should not be used to confirm large numbers of PTAEOs because it requires business offices to confirm every PTAEO. Contact: Nick Appleby
The Oracle COA to Workday COA conversion data will be made available in the Data Warehouse (DWH). Prior transactions (FY14-FY17) are “tagged” with new Workday COA in the DWH (Consolidated Transaction Table). Prior year procurement source transactions (FY14-FY17) are “tagged” with new Workday COA in the DWH (Expense Reports, Purchase Orders, Invoices). The tools below will look to this segment conversion data and these “tagged” transactions.
Workday COA Segment Refinement and Mapping - Unit Work
Please note that the pre-go-live Workday COA segment refinement and mapping efforts are closed. The deadline for submitting requests to COA for new and modified Workday segments was 4/12/2017 and for mappings was 4/19/17 (see online timetable). No new requests are being accepted.
The full Workday cutover plan timeline, when released, will include the date in July that COA will resume accepting requests for new/modified Workday segments.
Reminders – more detailed information included in the Instructions packet:
- The official COA conversion mapping table will be available around June 11, 2017.
- Special note for new Gifts, Grants, capital projects and W-Awards: these will be created by the Workday Project Teams as part of our go-live processes. You may continue to see “unmapped” segments in the output of your conversion/transition tools. These segments will continue to be added to the conversion ouput through July 2017 go-live.
- Once added, they will appear in the results when you use any of the tools discussed in the “Tools” of the COA web page. This search for new PTAEO combinations occurs weekly. Now that the distributed mapping process is closed, the conversion program will use existing rules to ensure that valid COA segments are provided for the conversion of historical financial information. It is expected that units may need to move balances to different charging instructions once we are in Workday Financials; guidance on how to do this will be provided.
- The PTAEO-to-Workday-COA Conversion does not necessarily determine what segments you will use starting July 2017. In some cases, your historical conversion and the way you use the Workday COA starting July 2017 will be the same. However, the Conversion mappings are designed for historical financial information only. In areas where the University or individual units are changing/transforming their chart of accounts, business offices will need to provide a guide for users that may not be “straight out of” the Conversion Tools. Example:
- Unit has one Org today for a whole department. It is unable to use PTAO to split by section/specialty.
- In Workday, it will have three Cost Centers for each section/specialty in the department.
- The conversion may put all historical transactions for this Org to one Cost Center.
- Starting July 1, 2017, users be able to select from any of the three Cost Centers to represent the section/specialty.
- Instructions - for Workday COA Refinement and Mapping
- Timetable - This document contains a full timetable with due dates associated with the Workday COA refinement and mapping. Please note within that document the freeze on Oracle and Workday COA segments as of April 2017. This will require units to frontload their COA segment requests prior to that date or hold until July. This includes things like new faculty accounts, discretionary accounts for visitors, medical contracts, student accounts, study abroad and summer sessions. **updated 2/27/17**
- List of Oracle Projects where conversion was specified by the Controller’s Office (updated 03/28/2017)
A Note about Terminology
Until March 2016, the Workday @ Yale team had used the term Financial Data Model (FDM) to represent the Workday Chart of Accounts, the full Workday data structure and individual segments of the chart of accounts. Please note the following terms below that will be used from April 2016 forward:
|Today we call it …||Tomorrow we will call it …||What is it?|
Oracle Chart of Accounts
Chart of Accounts
Workday Chart of Accounts
Chart of Accounts
General term to describe the full set of data points used for standard accounting and financial reporting.
In Workday this includes delivered pieces of the Workday Financial Data Model (FDM) and also some worktags that are configured by Yale.
|COA Segments||COA Segments||
Each individual piece of the chart of accounts - the buckets.
The list of values for each segment are called the “segment values”.
|Charging Instructions||Accounting string - PTAEO|
|Expenditure Type||Ledger Account||COA segment used for general ledger accounting (revenue, expense, assets, liabilities)|