Place content here. This is a site-wide alert banner.
2017 Federal Income Tax
Prepare & File Your Federal Individual Income Tax Return
If you are required to file a federal individual income tax return, it is recommended that you follow these steps prior to preparing your federal tax return:
- Collect necessary tax forms and documents.
- Determine which Form 1040 you should file (e.g., Form 1040, 1040A, 1040-EZ, etc.). Refer to the form instructions available on the IRS website.
- Read the instructions to the relevant tax forms available on the IRS website and for general tax information refer to the Examples available on this site.
- Prepare and file your tax return.
- Visit the IRS website to take advantage of IRS Free File, an online tax preparation resource
- Prepare your tax return using other tax software or by hand
- Consult your tax advisor
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls and other convenient locations across the country. To locate the nearest VITA site near you, use the VITA Locator Tool or call 800-906-9887. Further, the IRS has provided a video pertaining to the VITA Program.
Federal Filing Deadline: April 17, 2018