W-2 FAQs

2016 Electronic Form W-2

Wages, tips and other compensation are calculated by taking your total gross earnings received in your Payroll checks/bank deposits dated between January 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014 and subtracting all pre-tax deductions.

Pretax deductions are any amounts deducted from your gross earnings prior to tax calculations. These deductions may be 403(b) contributions, such as before tax contributions to Yale University Retirement Annuity Plans or Supplemental Retirement Annuities, 457(b)contributions or non taxable benefits covered under IRC Section 125, such as Health Benefits, Child Care, Group Life, etc.

Pre-taxPre-tax benefits that are covered under IRC Section 125 are non-taxable for social security, Medicare, federal and state/city income tax purposes. 403(b) and 457(b) contributions are non-taxable for federal and state/city income tax purposes only. 

The following are common reasons that the amounts reported in Boxes 1, 3 and 5 may differ:

  • 403(b)/457(b) before tax contributions are tax deferred for federal and state/city income tax purposes and, therefore, are not included in the amounts reported as federal taxable wages and state taxable wages. These amounts are, however, reported as Social Security and Medicare wages. Therefore, you will see a larger amount reported in Social Security and Medicare wages than in state/city and federal taxable wages.
  • Social security wages are limited to $117,000 for the calendar year 2014.
  • Wages exempt from FICA (i.e., Social Security and Medicare tax) under the student or nonresident alien exceptions (see below) are not included in Social Security or Medicare wages, but generally are reported as federal taxable wages and state taxable wages.
  • Wages exempt under a tax treaty are not reported in Box 1, wages, tips and other compensation, but are reported in Box 16, state wages, tips, etc., ( State of Connecticut does not recognize wage treaties for exemption)  and may be reported as Social Security and Medicare wages.

What is “Additional Medicare Tax”?

  • Before January 1, 2013, employers and employees each paid Medicare tax at the rate of 1.45% on all Medicare taxable wages. For wages paid on or after January 1, 2013 employers must withhold an additional 0.9% from the wages of employees when their wages exceed $200,000.

Salaries and wages paid by Yale University to individuals in either of the following categories are not subject to social security or Medicare taxes and, therefore, are not reported as social security or Medicare wages:

  • Payments made to certain Yale University students* during the academic school year (i.e., September through May) and
  • Non-resident aliens in F-1, J-1, M-1 or Q-1 immigration status performing services to carry out the purpose of their visa.

*Students enrolled at least half time, lacking the status of a career employee.

Box 12 may include a code with an associated amount. The most common codes reported on a W-2 issued by Yale University are:

  • Code E: Elective deferrals under a section 403(b) salary reduction agreement,
  • Code P: Excludable moving expense reimbursements paid directly to you, and
  • Code G: Elective deferrals under a section 457(b) salary reduction agreement.
  • Code DD: Cost of employer-sponsored health coverage. (This amount is both employee and employer contributions)

If any other code appears in Box 12, please refer to the W-2 instructions for the explanation.

This box is checked for employees who are eligible to participate in either the staff retirement plan or the Yale University Retirement Annuity Plan.

You may change your address for your W-2 prior to submission to the IRS and/or State Agency by contacting the Payroll Office at payroll.taxforms@yale.edu and providing your correct home address so that your payroll records can be updated.

Please come to the Employee Service Center at 221 Whitney Ave. with the supporting documentation of name and/or social security number change so that a W-2 can be reissued or corrected. The Payroll office will correct and reissue your W-2 through February 27, 2015. After this time, we will issue a W-2C (Corrected Wage and Tax Statement).

If you have lost your W-2, you may access the Web W-2 application and print another copy. You may also notify the Payroll Office at payroll.taxforms@yale.edu (or at 203.432.8759) to request a reissued W-2. Please specify whether you will pick up the W-2 at 221 Whitney Ave or if you prefer to have it sent via U.S. Mail. If you are requesting a W-2 by U.S. Mail, please provide a current mailing address. Your full name and date of birth , employee number, or UPI must be included in your email.

Yale will issue you a calendar year 2014 Form 1042-S, Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding, by March 16,2015  if you  i.) Are a nonresident alien and received a fellowship or stipend during the calendar year 2014 or ii.) Claimed a tax treaty benefit for wages or other payments during calendar year 2014 through the University. The University may also issue certain individuals calendar year 2014 Form 1099-MISC., Miscellaneous Income. The information reported on the Form 1042-S and/or form 1099-MISC., should be included on your calendar year 2014 individual income tax return.