The primary objective of General Accounting is to serve as knowledge experts with respect to University accounting and financial management. Areas of responsibility include:
- Developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure appropriate accounting treatment in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal management reporting principles.
- Governing the University’s Chart of Accounts (COA).
- Providing guidance to institutional business process owners in the interpretation of complex accounting topics.
- Providing guidance & advice to Lead Administrators and other departmental staff on routine and non-routine accounting, COA usage and financial structures.
- Serving as content experts for all published resources or training related to University accounting or COA.
- Responsible for the development and dissemination of the annual year-end closing instructions in collaboration with the other central process owners.
Additional specialized accounting support and expertise is provided by other teams in the Controller’s Office and Finance such as Business Asset Accounting, Capital Accounting, Gift Accounting, Investment Accounting, and Office of Sponsored Projects.