Chart of Accounts (COA)
**UPDATED 4/2023 - FY23 year-end timing considerations for segment closures & Cost Center reorgs.**
The Chart of Accounts (COA) is a set of codes used to classify and record financial transactions in meaningful ways. It provides the structure for reporting and monitoring financial activity at Yale. The COA consists of segments and descriptive attributes that help the University organize financial information for:
- Internal reporting and financial management
- External reporting and compliance
- Effective management of restricted funds
Different COA segments tell us information such as:
- How an activity was funded
- Who is responsible for financial oversight of the transaction (i.e., which department incurred the expense or earned income)
- What is the activity in which the unit engaged (i.e., mission, line of business and detailed activities)
- How to “account” for something purchased or sold
Consistent use of the COA on transactions is crucial to enable consistent and meaningful reporting for faculty, staff, University leadership, and external users.
Click for Detailed Information and Resources about the COA.
Below please find the timetable for Cost Center and Cost Center Hierarchy changes.
Please also note that COA segment closures do not take place during the year-end period close. As such, the last segment closures occur with the May month-end in calendar June. Closures generally resume with the September month-end in calendar October.
Please submit all closure / reorganization requests to COA or YSM Controller no later than Friday, May 19, 2023.
- May month-end (calendar June) – Last opportunity for cost center reorgs
No Cost Center Modifications:
- June month-end (calendar July)
- July month-end (calendar Aug)
- Aug month-end (calendar Sept)
- Sept month-end (calendar Oct) – Resume ALL Workday cost center reorgs – (both within and between Planning Units)