Receive Your W-2 Electronically for Faster, More Secure Delivery
We hope that you will take a moment to elect to receive your W-2 electronically if you did not already consent to do so. Consent can be given by following the How to Elect to Receive an Electronic Copy of Your W2 guide. Beyond simplifying your personal tax filings, this method will ensure the following benefits:
- faster and more secure delivery than U.S. mail, protecting your sensitive information from loss, theft or delay
- support of the Yale Sustainability Plan 2025, reducing the University’s costs of printing and mailing individual forms
- quick and easy access to your online W-2 through Workday, a tool you’re already using to manage your employee benefits
Electronic Form W-2 Disclosure Statement
- Receiving paper forms: If an employee does not consent to receive an electronic version of Form W-2, the employee will continue to be sent a paper Form W-2 through the mail, automatically. The employee will also be able to view an electronic version of Form W-2 through Workday.
- Scope and duration of consent: An employee’s consent to receive an electronic version of Form W-2 is effective for the current and all future tax years until either consent is withdrawn or the individual is no longer employed by Yale.
- Obtaining a paper W-2 after giving consent: After providing consent, an employee may still request a paper Form W-2 by contacting Employee Services (firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-432-5552). Such a request does not withdraw the employee’s consent to receive electronic versions of Form W-2.
- Withdrawing consent: An employee may withdraw consent at any time. When an employee withdraws consent, such withdrawal does not cover previously issued Form W-2s. Withdrawn consent covers only those Form W-2s not yet issued. To withdraw consent, an employee changes their selection in Workday to “Receive both electronic and paper copies of my Year End Tax Documents.” Withdrawal of consent takes effect immediately and Workday instantly reflects confirmation in the “Tax Forms Printing Elections” section.
- Terminated employees: Yale does not provide electronic versions of Form W-2 to individuals whose employment terminated prior to January 1 of the following calendar year. These individuals will receive paper Form W-2s through the mail. Only active Yale employees have access to electronic versions of Form W-2. Former employees who consented to receiving electronic versions of Form W-2 and did not print paper copies prior to separation from Yale may request paper copies of Form W-2 by contacting Employee Services (email@example.com or 203-432-5552).
- Responsibility to update contact information: Employees are responsible for timely notifying Employee Services (firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-432-5552) of any changes to contact information (e.g., name change, mailing address change, email address change).
- Hardware and software requirements: The hardware and software requirements needed to access and print electronic versions of Form W-2 include a device with Internet access, a current web browser, and Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Inaccessibility and technical problems: If an employee consents to receiving an electronic version of Form W-2 and is unable to access it due to an accessibility issue, technical problem, incorrect username or password, or other difficulty, the employee may request a paper Form W-2 by contacting Employee Services (email@example.com or 203-432-5552).