All staff who can work at home should continue to do so. Only with an explicit request from a supervisor should a staff member return to campus. For more information, review COVID-19 Workplace Guidance.
Conducting a Virtual Interview Amid the COVID-19 Outbreak
Virtual interviews, including telephone interviews, can be an effective method of assessing a candidate’s competencies as they relate to the position for which they are being considered. As a result of the current COVID-19 outbreak, managers are encouraged to follow best practices when scheduling virtual interviews in place of in-person interviews.
Best Practices for Virtual Interviews
- Be mindful that not every candidate will be able to access virtual interview technology and may need to reschedule or determine an alternate method for interviewing.
- For bargaining unit positions, please consult with your recruiter to talk through these practices to ensure contractual obligations are met and maintained.
- Test your technology prior to the scheduled interview time.
- Questions must be the same as what you would have asked in an in-person interview.
- Keep detailed notes.
- If you plan to video chat with a candidate, make sure you’ve allowed them to prepare by letting them know they’ll be on camera.
- Be mindful and accommodating of potential audio and/or video delays.
Interviewing by Phone
- If possible, call the candidate from your work phone number.
- If teleconferencing with a search committee, remind committee members to mute their lines when not in use to ensure smooth communication. Review helpful tips on hosting a Zoom meeting, including muting and unmuting participants.
Interviewing Online via Zoom or Skype
Yale’s preferred video chat tool is Zoom. If you do not have a Zoom account, please visit the Zoom website to set one up. Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection is not required.Video chat is also available through Skype for Business. Those with a Yale email account already have a Skype for Business account and can access it through their desktop. VPN connection is not required. For support with Zoom or Skype for Business, contact the ITS Help Desk.