How can Best Practices help me?
A best practice is defined as a method or technique that has been generally accepted as superior to any alternatives because it produces results that are superior to those achieved by other means or because it has become a standard way of doing things.
The Best Practices team works with both Union and Management to explore needs and determine the “right” services for collaboration. Our services focus on helping our union and management partners to structure collaborations designed to achieve short-term objectives (resolve a conflict) or a longer-term goal (tackling business processes that need improvement).
If you would like to learn more, please feel free to contact us directly. We’re here to help, and we hope you will be inspired to join us and learn more about our services.
Working through misunderstandings in a “best practices way” can create an atmosphere conducive to problem solving.
- Address conflict early to prevent it from escalating
- Use active listening with a view to understand others
- Communicate with respect
- Be mindful of your body language and tone of voice
- Brainstorm options free of judgment
- Focus on the present and future, and be willing to put the past behind you
Creating a regular forum can enable managers, union representatives, and employees to discuss and solve every day challenges at the departmental or unit level.
- Share interests and commit to problem solving
- Gather and share data to support interests
- Use Interest-based problem-solving tools
Engaging union representatives and employees in planning a business change can pave the way to a successful implementation.
- Engage institutional union early
- Establish mutual understanding of change
- Share all relevant information and rationale for change
- Explore options for engaging staff
Process improvement with input from those who do the work helps to optimize processes to achieve more efficient results (reduce cost, time, and improve quality).
- Identify shared vision of improved workflow
- Understand customer needs
- Map current workflow and discuss areas of improvement
- Share relevant data
- Redesign new workflow
Union-Management Cooperation Training, Coaching, and Other Resources
Nurturing partnerships by supporting individual or departmental learning.
- Partnership essentials to prepare new groups for collaborative work
- Moving Conflict to Resolution, 60-90 minute modules, instructor led training
- Creating team norms
- Helping employees feel confident in applying various communication skills through coaching
On-line Resources and Guides
View our online resources and guides: