Submitting Your I-9 Form

I-9 Documentation - Providing Remote Verification

Yale is now providing remote verification for new hire I-9 documents, in keeping with the Department of Homeland Security’s guidance on limiting physical proximity due to COVID-19. However, once normal operations resume, all employees who were onboarded using remote verification must report to 221 Whitney Avenue, Human Resources  I-9 Center for in-person verification of identity and employment eligibility. Send Form I-9 documents remotely using one of three choices: by fax 203-432-5153, video—request an appointment via Employee Service Center, or webform—submit your documents using the Remote I-9 Verification for New Hires webform.

New Yale employees will find their I-9 in their Workday inbox, as well as other on-boarding tasks. For assistance with completing the form in Workday, follow the employee steps in the Onboarding for New Employees guide.

Yale is an E-verify employer and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. Learn more about E-Verify.

For questions about this process, please contact the Employee Service Center.

ID CENTER  Department Address Hours of Operation

Main I-9 Center

    HR Employee Services

    221 Whitney Avenue, 1st Floor Lobby Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

    List of Acceptable Documents

    All documents must be unexpired.

    Employees may present one selection from List A or a combination of one selection from list B and one selection from list C.

    List A
    Document that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization
    OR List B
    Document that estabish Identity

    1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card

      1. Driver’s license or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address  

    1. A Social Security Account Number card, unless the card includes one of the following restrictions:

    1. Not valid for employment
    2. Valid for work only with INS authorization
    3. Valid for work only with DHS authorization

    2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-5551)

    2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address   2. Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
    3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-5551 stamp or temporary I-5551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa 3. School ID card with a photograph   3. Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
    4. Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766) 4. Voter’s registration card   4. Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, country, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal

    5. For the nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her status:

    a. Foreign passport; and
    b. Form I-94 or Form I-94A that has the following

    1. The same name as the passport; and
    2. An endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status as long as that period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form

    5. U.S. Military card or draft record   5. Native American tribal document
    6. Military dependent’s ID Card   6. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197
      7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card   7. Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen on the United States (Form I-179)
      8. Native American tribal document   8. Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security
    6. Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) of the republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association between the United States and the FSM or RMI   9. Driver’s License issued by a Canadian government authority  
      For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:  
      10. School record or report card  
      11. Clinical, doctor, or hospital record  
      12. Day-care or nursery school record  

    Revised 07/17/17