Planning Guidance for HSLs, Administrators, and Unit Leaders
Last updated on April 14, 2022
HSLs, managers, administrators, and unit leads are encouraged to utilize the following information, as well as Yale’s COVID-19 Health and Safety Guidance and EHS’s Safer Yale Practices, to support their communities.
Please notify our Facilities Superintendent, if your occupancy increases or if new facilities are being utilized to ensure that ventilation and cleaning schedules are appropriate.
If you require assistance, please contact EHS.
For current vaccination requirements, visit Yale’s COVID-19 Vaccination Program page.
Employee Obligations for Return to Campus
Review the University’s Statement of Expectations.
For current mask requirements, visit Mask Requirements and Guidance.
Individuals who are not fully vaccinated must maintain at least six feet of distance. Distancing is not required for fully vaccinated people, with certain exceptions, as outlined in Yale’s Physical Distancing Recommendations.
For current indoor and outdoor occupancy guidance, please visit Occupancy Recommendations.
Facilities (for Yale-owned buildings) and University Properties (for leased properties) have evaluated Yale workspaces, and, in many cases, have implemented enhancements. Naturally ventilated spaces should be occupied with open windows. Additional information is available on the Facilities website, through Facilities Superintendents, or from University Properties.
Transportation to/from Office
Employees using public transportation should be aware of CDC guidance and Connecticut Department of Public Health rules that require mask-wearing inside or outside waiting areas at transportation hubs or when using public or private transport services including:
- Buses and bus stations and stops (this includes the Yale shuttle and while waiting at shuttle stops);
- Trains and train stations;
- Taxi stands, rideshare vehicles, or any privately hired transportation vehicles (such as Uber, Lyft, taxis, livery); and
- Ferries and ferry slips.
Events, Gatherings, and Meetings
Review the Yale’s Events, Gatherings, and Meetings Guidance.
Visitors External to Yale
Yale’s Visitor Policy remains in place. The policy requires that approved visitors and hosts be fully vaccinated. Certain types of visitors to campus and non-deferrable reasons may be exception-approved by the Health and Safety Leader.
The university will now allow university-sponsored travel for fully vaccinated faculty, staff, and students subject to obtaining approvals required under existing university policies and processes. Certain requirements remain in place for students, unvaccinated individuals, and international travel. For more information, view Yale’s Travel Policy.
Quarantine requirements remain in place for unvaccinated individuals returning to campus after traveling to anywhere outside of Connecticut. Please see Yale’s Travel Policy for a full list of requirements for domestic and international travel.
Close Contact Quarantine
An important strategy for reducing transmission of the virus is to identify those with infections and instruct them to isolate while they are infectious. It is also important to identify close contacts of infected individuals and instruct them to quarantine during the time when they might contract the virus as a result of their close exposure. See Yale’s Isolation and Guidance for Close Contacts for more information.
Review of Reports
All members of the Yale community who oversee individuals who are returning to campus are expected to review the following reports to ensure community compliance. Report data is available on-demand or automatically emailed to the responsible individual. Please see Reporting Resources and Tools for a Safe Return to Yale for more information.
Requests for accommodation and other accessibility concerns should be directed to Yale’s Office of Institutional Equity and Accessibility.
- “COVID-19 Employer Information for Office Buildings” from the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Guidance for Institutions of Higher Learning from the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Yale’s guidance on a variety of COVID health and safety topics below can be found on Yale’s COVID-19 website:
- Physical Distancing Recommendations;
- Occupancy Recommendations;
- Mask Requirements and Guidance;
- Compliant cleaning and disinfecting protocols;
- University-approved signage (available from YPPS; many already posted by Facilities and EHS);
- COVID-19 testing requirements;
- Contact tracing;
- Reporting concerns regarding violations of health and safety standards;
- Community Compact for students; and
- Statement of Expectations for faculty and staff