Place content here. This is a site-wide alert banner.
Before you start your new job
Mark your calendar to attend New Employee Orientation.
Your orientation date can be found in your offer letter. The orientation is held at 221 Whitney Avenue, New Haven and includes a continental breakfast and a pizza lunch; dress is business casual. View parking information and directions.
At this program, you will become familiar with the university, our community, and the many benefits and resources available to you as a Yale employee. To prepare for orientation, look over your benefits offerings in the Benefits Toolbox, and visit the About Yale page for information regarding Yale’s history, facts (demographics), and the Yale community.
Orientation is intended for new employees and those who are rejoining Yale. If you are transferring to a new Yale position, you do not need to attend.
Please plan to attend for the full program and note that New Employee Orientation is considered a paid workday. When the session is over, you may visit the ID Center and pick up your Yale ID card.
If you are unable to attend orientation, please talk with your supervisor immediately and also call 203-436-8592 to reschedule.
In the event of inclement weather, your orientation session may be postponed; please call 203-436-8592 after 6:30 a.m. the morning of your scheduled session for the status of your orientation session and rescheduling instructions.
Please bring the following to orientation:
- Social Security number (yours and your benefits-eligible family members)
- Birth date (yours and your benefits-eligible family members)
- Net ID and Password - If you are unable to set your password prior to attending orientation, bring your Net ID and PIN number with you to orientation. If you do not already have your Net ID and PIN number, you will receive them at orientation.
- Documents to complete your I-9 form - You will show this at the Welcome Center/I-9 Center.
Obtain your Yale e-mail address and Net ID, then create your password.
As a new employee, you will receive a Yale e-mail address and a Net ID after you receive notification that your background check is completed. You will use your Net ID and a password you create to access many applications used here at Yale. As a first step, your supervisor will provide you with a PIN (or password) to activate your Net ID. Visit Net ID Activation.
Visit Workday to complete your onboarding checklist.
Your checklist will include such items as your required state and federal tax forms, I-9 form, equal opportunity details, emergency contact information, and training requirements. You will also have the opportunity to sign up for direct deposit of your paychecks.
Please be sure to view all the announcements in your Workday inbox. Here’s how:
- Open a browser and go to the It’s Your Yale home page.
- Click on Workday located at the top of the page.
- Click on Getting Started and complete your checklist as prompted.
Read important policies and related information
There are a few very important policies that we want you to be aware. Please read the following before you begin your first day:
- Annual Safety Report on Campus Crime and Fire Incidents
- Drug prevention program
- Campus and workplace violence prevention policy
- Information technology appropriate use policy
- Sexual harassment policy
- Sexual misconduct polices and related definitions
- Standards of Business Conduct
- Tobacco Free Yale
Yale’s complete policies and procedures can be found in the Staff Workplace Policies document.