All staff who can work at home should continue to do so. Only with an explicit request from a supervisor should a staff member return to campus. For more information, review COVID-19 Workplace Guidance.
Your First Month (from date of hire)
Enroll in Yale’s Benefits Program
Yale provides access to an array of unique and valuable benefits to help you achieve physical and financial success at any age. Take the time to learn more about the benefits, programs, and resources available to you at Yale.
Your Health Benefits
As a new employee at Yale University, you have 30 days after your date of hire to enroll yourself and your eligible dependents in the Yale Benefits Program including health, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, and supplemental life insurance. If you do not enroll during this 30-day period, you and your eligible dependents will forfeit coverage until Yale’s next available open enrollment period.
Benefits Eligibility Requirements
- Bargaining unit or Managerial & Professional staff member scheduled to work at least 20 hours per week. Faculty member or post doctoral associate or fellow with at least 50% appointment.
- Legal spouse and dependent children
Effective Date of Benefits
- Benefits are effective as of the first of the month following your date of hire, unless hired on the first, then benefits are effective on date of hire
Information on your benefit option elections can be found when activating your Net ID and PIN and proceeding through the onboarding process in Workday. To access Workday follow these instructions:
- Go to Workday
- Click on Getting Started to locate your checklist.
Additional resources are available in the Benefits Toolbox. Further details on your benefit options will be provided during your New Employee Orientation.
If your start date with Yale is before your scheduled New Hire Orientation date, or if you have questions regarding benefit option elections, please bring your Net ID and password with you for online enrollment help at the end of the orientation session. If New Employee Orientation is your first day at the university and your Net ID has not been provided, you will receive it during the program. If you have been rehired, please visit Workday (see instructions above) to access your benefit options.
Employee Services is available to help answer any questions you may have about the process. For more information on employee benefits, please visit the Benefits section on the It’s Your Yale website.
Your Retirement Benefits
- Visit Planning for Retirement page to learn about Yale’s retirement plans.
- Get detailed information about investment options, rates of return and expenses associated with the funds offered through our 403(b) plans.
- Go to TIAA to set up your secure online access, to enroll or change your contributions to your retirement savings plan. Call TIAA at 855-250-5424, for assistance or more information.
- To set up a free one-on-one session with a TIAA advisor to explore fund options and complete enrollment process, call 1-800-732-8353.