LGBTQ Frequently Asked Questions

Health Insurance

What health benefits are available?

Employees, their spouse (regardless of their gender) and dependents are eligible for:

  • Medical
  • Dental
  • Vision (except for postdoctoral fellows)

For more information, please visit Health Benefits.

What will it cost to cover my dependent?

The coverage cost depends on your job classification. Please check out the Benefits Toolbox for more details.

Are benefits offered to transgender employees?

Yes. Transgender employees have the same benefits as all Yale employees.

Transgender employees who are managerial & professional staff, faculty, postdoctoral associates, postdoctoral fellows, clerical and technical, service and maintenance and security are eligible to receive gender affirmative surgery.  Aetna and Yale Health follow many of the recommendations of the WPATH standards for care related to gender affirmation surgery.

Contact Yale HEALTH (Member Services: 203-432-0246) or Aetna (Customer Service: 866-253-8886) for detailed information.

Add information, including a support group can be provided by Trans* @Yale.

Does Yale University cover In Vitro Fertilization (IVF), Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI) and Ovulation Induction (OI)?

Yes, both Yale HEALTH and Aetna cover IVF, IUI and OI for their covered participants (excluding coverage for surrogates). Please check out the Benefits Toolbox for more details.


When I retire, which benefits will my dependent be eligible for?

You continue to cover your spouse (regardless of their gender) when you retire if you were married at the time of retirement.

What happens to my benefits upon my death?

We encourage the spouse or dependent to contact the Employee Services (203-432-5552) to assure a continued benefits coverage (health benefits, life insurance…).

Life Events

Do I have to get married to add my partner to health insurance benefits?

Yes, you are required to be married to provide benefits to your partner.

What do I need to do in terms of my benefits if I get divorced?

If you are recently divorced or legally separated from your spouse, this qualifies as a qualifying life event and allows you to dis-enroll your former spouse from Yale’s medical or dental coverage. Effective cancellation date will be at the end of the month that you are divorced or legally separated.

You must add this qualifying life event within 30 days of the date of your divorce or legal separation. To do so select the Benefits and Pay hub in Workday.

If you have any questions, please contact the Employee Service Center at 203-432-5552.

Are newborns and adopted children eligible for immediate coverage?

Yes. If you or your spouse has a child or adopts a child, you have 30 days from the date of birth or legal completion of the adoption to enroll the newborn or adopted child on your health insurance.

Please visit Workday to process all Qualifying Life Events within 30 days of the qualifying event or contact the Employee Service Center at 203-432-5552.

Can my dependent be designated as my beneficiary for my life insurance?

Yes. You can designate any person as your life insurance beneficiary; this information can be updated or changed at any time. In the event you pass away and a beneficiary is not designated, the benefit will be paid to your estate. Please visit Workday to check or update your beneficiary.

What happens to my life insurance when I retire or leave the University?

If you terminate or retire from the University, you may continue your life insurance coverage by purchasing a policy directly from The Standard. Please contact Employee Services for additional information and an application at 203-432-5552 or

Other Benefits

Am I eligible to take a medical or caregiver leave?

Yes, you may be eligible. Please contact Employee Services at 203-432-5552 to check your eligibility or visit the Absence and Leave section of the IRS website for more information.

What additional benefits are offered to my spouse/partner?

With a Yale ID, spouses/partners can access a myriad of Yale activities such as shuttle services, library access and books borrowing, gym access (with a membership fee), as well as local discounts (theater, transit, local and online shopping). Children must be accompanied by a Yale ID holder. For more information, please visit the Spouse section of the ID Center website.

Is my spouse eligible for the tuition reduction?

Yes, you and your spouse are eligible for tuition reduction.

For more information, visit the tuition reduction program page.

Does Yale offer adoption assistance?

Adoption resources are available to eligible employees and their family members. Please visit the Adoption Benefits for more information.


Where do I go to change my name and/or sex with the University (payroll/benefits)?

You can change your legal or preferred name, as well as any confidential personal information via Workday.

Where can I find a gender-neutral restroom?

The office of LGBTQ Resources published a map of all the gender-neutral restrooms on their website.