Employee Referral Program
Do you know someone who would be an asset to our community? Beginning April 18, 2022, and through the end of this calendar year, the University is offering a referral award to employees who help bring talented professionals to Yale. If an external candidate you refer is qualified and hired into a position that is identified as meeting the Employee Referral Program eligibility criteria, you will receive an employee referral award of $1,500, less applicable taxes. This referral award will be increased by $500, less applicable taxes, for external candidate referrals who are New Haven residents at the time of their application. Referral awards will be paid within 90 days of the candidate’s hire date.
- The candidate must name the referring employee on their application during the initial application process, as shown below.
- A Human Resources Talent Acquisition/Staffing team member will validate the referral.
- After the candidate is hired into the position, the employee referral award will be processed through the payroll system.
At this time, faculty, post-doctoral associates, Cedarhurst employees, and benefit eligible managerial and professional (M&P) staff and clerical and technical (C&T) staff who are excluded from the bargaining unit are eligible to participate. The following individuals are not eligible to participate:
- Union members. Note: The university has contacted union leadership and offered to include represented staff members in the program.
- Members of the University Cabinet.
- Hiring managers, for their own hires.
To receive payment, referring employees must:
- Be employed by Yale University at the time of the referral and at the time the referral payment is being processed.
- Confirm the referral candidate to qualify for payment.
- Be willing to provide a reference for the referral candidate.
Referral Candidate Criteria
Referral candidates include new applicants, as well as existing applicants in the STARS database and prior university employees who left in good standing.
Eligible employees will receive $1,500 for each successfully referred candidate hired into any M&P, C&T (excluded from the bargaining unit), or Cedarhurst position. This referral award will be increased by $500 for external candidate referrals who are New Haven residents at the time of their application. Additional details on the award include:
- There is no limit to the number of referral awards an employee can receive.
- Rewards will be paid via Yale’s payroll system within 90 days of the referral candidate’s start date.
- Referral awards are considered income and will be subject to all applicable taxes.
- Referral awards will be centrally funded.
- All benefit eligible managerial and professional staff.
- All benefit eligible clerical and technical positions that are excluded from the bargaining unit.
- Cedarhurst positions.
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no waiting period, you can begin making referrals immediately. Any employee who meets eligibility criteria and whose referral is offered a position on or after April 18, 2022, is eligible to receive the bonus.
No. Neither party needs to reach out to the hiring manager or Staffing representative. Staffing will follow the process that has been defined and will reach out to both the candidate and the employee who made the referral if the candidate is hired for the position.
No. Due to privacy concerns, Human Resources cannot share employment status. However, you may contact the referral candidate directly.
To find current opportunities for external candidates, go to the Career page, select ‘Search Jobs at Yale,’ and select ‘External Applicants.’ Search open positions by req# or keyword.
Once you find the position, copy the page URL and share it via email or on your LinkedIn page. Candidates will be able to review and apply for the position.
When applying for the job, the referral candidate must select “Employee Referral” when asked, “Where did you hear about this position?” and must include the referring employee’s full name along with job title, department, and phone number in the freeform textbox requesting the referral’s information. Please note that the response cannot be edited after the application is submitted.