Action Required: Purchase Order closures and change orders Suspended July 1 – 13, 2020
June 24, 2020
Action Required: In progress FY 2020 requisitions and change orders, must be fully approved by 5:00 p.m. Tuesday, June 30, 2020.
- Procurement will not close FY 2020 purchase orders between July 1 and July 13, 2020
- POs created after July 1, 2020 may still be closed during this outage period
- Departments should not submit change orders between July 1 and July 13, 2020
- Procurement will roll forward any FY 2020 purchase order (PO) with an open balance after 5:00 p.m., Monday, July 13, 2020
- Departments are encouraged to create new purchase orders rather than change orders when a service line PO has exhausted available funds or requires different COA segments.
To prevent potential accounting issues, Procurement will not close FY 2020 purchase orders between July 1 and July 13, 2020. Department business offices should also not submit or approve change orders during this period. Suspending closures and change orders will maintain the accuracy of obligation ledgers as the fiscal years are changing. For this reason, in progress requisitions and change orders submitted during late June should be approved before 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 30 whenever possible.
After 5:00 p.m. on Monday, July 13, Procurement will roll forward any purchase order (PO) with an open balance created prior to July 1 to the new fiscal year. This will make the PO’s Budget Date July 1, 2020.
Procurement will resume closing purchase orders beginning Tuesday, July 14, 2020. In addition, Procurement will continue taking action on closure requests for new POs created after July 1, 2020 during the suspension period.
As grants commonly close as of June 30, departments are encouraged to create new purchase orders with new COA segments for service line POs tied to expiring grants. New purchase orders, rather than change orders, are also recommended in cases where a service line is increased by a substantial amount.