Policy & Procedure update - July 19, 2023
July 19, 2023
The following policy document, which previously completed its full review and approval process, is now published and effective. Please discuss the document with the appropriate people in your department and send any questions to email@example.com.
Procedure 3201 PR.01 Purchase Order Process
- Procedure 3201 PR.01 Purchase Order Process – Revised
This substantially revised/reimagined procedure originates from Procurement (the policy sponsor). Formerly named Purchase Requisition Process, this procedure has been renamed and revised to better capture the end-to-end process related to purchase orders (POs). This procedure now documents the comprehensive set of PO practices and establishes a baseline for correctly executing POs and managing the PO lifecycle.
This revised procedure is designed to, among other things:
- Establish definitions and best practices around POs;
- Assist the University community in correctly executing POs;
- Clarify roles and responsibilities throughout the PO lifecycle;
- Improve adherence to Yale’s purchasing policies and procedures; and
- Reduce re-work, audit issues, and fraud incidents for PO usage.
By implementing the revisions to this procedure, the intent is to improve the end-user experience by:
- Clarifying the current PO processes for experienced and new users;
- Having a one-stop reference for preparing, creating, and managing a PO;
- Improving understanding of why and when a PO is needed;
- Eliminating re-work, saving time, and ensuring the timely receipt of purchases; and
- Establishing the foundation for future trainings.
The document also received non-substantive, clarifying revisions to enhance clarity and consistency with related documents.
There will be a significant change management and training effort related to this document. Additional information on those efforts will be forthcoming.
Always check the Policies & Procedures web page for the latest revisions of all documents. This will ensure you that are utilizing the most up-to-date version.
If you have any questions, please contact Policy & Compliance Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.