Cash Management & Financial Analysis
As part of the financial management team, the Cash Management & Financial Analysis Group of SPFA manages all the cash-related activities of Yale’s sponsored projects as well as the overall analysis and reconciliation of the award’s balance sheet accounts, revenue and expenses. The goal of this group is to maintain appropriate levels of cash flow for Yale’s sponsored projects while ensuring financial compliance with Federal regulations, sponsor requirements, and University policies.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Process Letter-of-Credit (LOC) cash draws and web-based invoicing for Federal awards.
- Prepare and file the quarterly Federal Financial Report (FFR) for the LOC awards as applicable, and perform funding, cash and expenditure reconciliations.
- Process installment and cost reimbursement invoices for Non-Federal, Federal Pass-Through grants (non-LOC) and contracts. Serve as the point of contact for billing inquiries.
- Process receipts of sponsor payments and ensure they are credited to the correct invoice and award.
- Track sponsored project receivables and initiate collection communication.
- Reconcile sponsored project receivable and follow up on unbillable issues.
- Perform monthly award reconciliation and quarterly certification of AR ledger accounts. Identify the need for, and process, any journal entries identified during the reconciliation process.
- Research and reconcile unapplied cash receipts.
- Complete analysis to ensure accuracy of the financial position of all sponsored awards that are reported on the University’s financial statement.
Billing and Payments
- For billing inquiries, please contact GrantsAR@yale.edu.
- Sponsored payments to the University, via checks, should be mailed to:
Sponsored Projects Finanical Administration (SPFA)
PO Box 1873
New Haven, CT 06508-1873
- For payments to the University via wire transfer, please contact GrantsAR@yale.edu for bank information.
- Yale University’s Employee Identification Number (EIN) is: 06-0646973.
Payment Deposit Instructions
The below instructions are supplementary to Policy 2801, which addresses the receipt of University cash in the form of currency, checks, money orders, and traveler’s checks.
1. Within 24 hours of receipt of a sponsor payment, the department should do one of the following:
- For School of Medicine departments, hand-deliver the payment to the Yale School of Medicine (YSM) Financial Operations Office. Please reference the IRES PT or Yale Award number on the check stub.
YSM Cashier’s Office: Contacts, Hours and Location
- For Central Campus departments, hand-deliver the payment to Treasury Services. Please reference the IRES PT or Yale Award number on the check stub.
Central Finance: Contacts, Hours and Location
2. Send an email to SPFA at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line titled “Sponsor Payment.” The email should include the following information:
- IRES PT or Yale Award number
- sponsor’s name;
- amount of payment;
- date and site of delivery for deposit; and
- attach any supporting documents that accompanied the payment.
What NOT To Do
- Hold onto the sponsor payment for greater than 24 hours.
- Record the sponsor payment via Cash Sale.
- Send the sponsor payment via campus mail.
- Deposit the sponsor payment into an individual department account.
- For any questions on sponsored project payments, please contact SPFA at 203-785-4689 or email@example.com
- Policy 2801 Depositing and Recording University Funds
- Procedure 2801 PR.01 Recording and Depositing Cash Receipts