Other Support

Federal agencies require all affiliations and financial and in-kind support be disclosed for total transparency.  The table and questions below are designed to help facilitate conversations with faculty to ascertain what resources are available to them that are not captured in a Yale system.

Other Support is defined as all resources made available to researcher or senior key personnel in support of and/or related to all of their research endeavors, regardless of whether or not they have monetary value and regardless of whether they are based at the institution the researcher identifies for the current grant. Other Support does not include training awards, prizes, gifts or start-up support from the applicant institution.



Other Support


Facilities, Other Resources, Equipment

Professional preparation (e.g., educational degrees)

Organizational Affiliations and Appointments

Academic, professional or institutional appointments, whether or not remuneration is received, and whether full-time, part-time, or voluntary

All projects currently under consideration from whatever source, and all ongoing projects, irrespective of whether support is provided through the proposing organization, another organization or directly to the individual, and regardless of whether or not they have monetary value (e.g., even if the support received is in-kind such as office/laboratory space, equipment, supplies, or employees)

Current or pending participation in, or applications to, programs sponsored by foreign governments, instrumentalities, or entities, including foreign government-sponsored talent recruitment programs

In-kind contributions not intended for use on the project/proposal being proposed

In-kind contributions intended for use on the project/proposal being proposed *

Visiting scholars, students and postdoctoral researchers in labs funded by an external entity working on PI research endeavors*

External professional activities that involve research that falls outside of an individual’s appointment at the applicant institution**

Travel and/or a living allowance supported/paid by an external entity to perform research activities with an associated time commitment**

*If a visiting scholar, graduate student, or post-doc is performing research in support of the PD/PI or other senior/key personnel’s research, then their support must be disclosed as an in-kind resource.  If the relationship is solely a mentor/mentee arrangement, with no research activities (e.g., associated time commitment), then it is not a resource, and does not need to be reported.

** The same level of detail for these projects managed by the external entity is required on the Other Support form.  Reminder:  English versions of foreign agreements require advance review and must be uploaded to the Third-Party Agreement Library 30 days prior to the due date of the Other Support Submission and included with the Other Support submission.

For NSF Current and Pending, a similar table is published on the NSF website: NSF Pre-Award and Post-Award Disclosures.

Questions to help identify reportable affiliations or support:

  1. Do you hold any paid or unpaid appointment, position, or affiliation at any other entity, including universities, foundations, corporations, hospitals, and/or governmental agencies?  This includes unpaid appointments such as “guest,” “adjunct,” “honorary,” or “visitor” titles.  
  2. Do you participate in research at another institution for which that institution provides support, e.g., funding, use of equipment, dedicated laboratory space, materials, research data, or contributions by graduate, post-doctoral researchers or other scientific personnel?  
  3. Excluding grants with a formal subaward to Yale, does your research program at Yale benefit from in-kind support from a source other than Yale e.g., visiting scholars, scientific personnel, high value materials (including data), equipment or other unique resources that are provided to you by an external entity? 
  4. Excluding grants with a formal subaward to Yale, are you listed as a principal investigator, co-principal investigator, key personnel, or the equivalent on any grants proposed or awarded to another institution? 
  5. Do you perform research as part of your external professional activities for an external entity?

Per NIH policy, supporting documentation, which includes copies of contracts/agreements specific to senior/key-personnel foreign appointments and/or employment with a foreign institution for all foreign activities and resources that are reported in Other Support must be included with the Other Support submission. If the contracts/agreements are not in English, translated copies must be provided.  Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Collaboration that provides a visiting scientist in the lab that works on PI’s projects
  • An appointment at a foreign entity that provides the PI with space, staff and/or materials and supplies
  • A grant/contract received by a foreign entity that the PI works on without a formal subaward to Yale (PI/key personnel)
  • A consulting agreement or MOU where the PI is performing research with a foreign entity

The Other Support Report is located on the Research Enterprise Reporting webpage.

If faculty have an agreement with a foreign entity that requires disclosure on the Other Support page, please upload to the Third-Party Agreements Library. If the agreement is not in English, it must be translated. Please note agreements need to be uploaded a minimum of 30 days prior to JIT or RPPR due date. Other Support and RPPRs will not be submitted until the agreements have been reviewed.

If you have questions, please contact OSPHelp@yale.edu.

View Other Support Resources