International Tax Office

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires that the University apply specific federal tax withholding and reporting rules to payments made to international students and scholars. For U.S. tax purposes, individuals are classified in one of the following categories: U.S. citizens, permanent resident aliens (i.e. green card holders), resident aliens, or nonresident aliens.

The International Tax office provides guidance and responds to questions concerning federal tax withholding and reporting of payments made to individuals who are neither U.S. citizens nor U.S. permanent residents. This is a service offered by the Yale Tax Department for the benefit of international students, scholars and visitors of Yale University.

The International Tax office meets with the international student, scholar or visitor on a one-on-one basis to determine the individual’s residency status for tax purposes and to determine the proper federal income tax and FICA withholding. The International Tax office reviews the relevant tax treaty and processes tax treaty exemption forms, if applicable.

The International Tax office cannot advise individuals with regard to their personal tax situation. The international individual should contact his/her tax accountant for personal tax advice.