Place content here. This is a site-wide alert banner.
There are many steps that each of us can take to ensure our safety. On the left, you can find safety tips for specific settings and situations (Apartment Safety, Holiday Safety, etc.). Below are general personal safety rules to follow, regardless of the setting.
- Use common sense. Try not to walk alone or appear distracted by wearing headphones or talking on your cell phone.
- At night, always walk with a friend and use lighted pathways to navigate throughout the University.
- Use the campus transportation services and security escorts.
- If you see something, say something.
- Report any questionable activity or crime right away.
- Do not carry or display large amounts of money or jewelry.
- If approached by someone demanding money, do not resist. Turn over the money, then call the police immediately.
- Obey the law: Avoid illegal drugs and alcohol.
- Identify visitors through a window or peephole before opening the door.
- Request service people to show proper credentials before you let them into your apartment.
- Never hesitate to contact the police if you have been a victim of a crime.
- When well-lit areas are not available, use the campus transportation services and security escorts by calling 203-432-6330 or 203-432-WALK.