Paid Time Off
REMINDER: M&P Max PTO extension expires November 30, 2022
To ensure that staff take full advantage of their paid time off, the new deadline to utilize M&P staff PTO Max has been extended to November 30, 2022—for both 2021 and 2022 M&P PTO Max balances.
Use Your Paid Time Off (PTO) to Refresh and Reset
Stepping away from the demands of work to spend time with loved ones, travel, complete simple projects, pursue personal hobbies, or to simply relax at home promotes wellbeing—and this can positively impact your productivity and job satisfaction.
Productivity decreases when people work long hours or weeks without vacation or time away from work. Staff may have trouble focusing, suffer burnout from overwork, or become less motivated. The ability to think “outside the box” can also diminish creativity and innovation.
Review your available bank of paid-time-off days
Yale provides generous paid time off for you to step away from work and return refreshed and recharged. To review your available PTO balance, go to Workday, select the absence worklet and view your available PTO balance. You can submit your request for PTO (absence) right from the same menu.
Balance the demands of your professional and personal lives
In addition to official Yale holidays, Yale provides paid time off to attend to personal responsibilities such as:
Staff members are encouraged to provide advance notice and coordinate schedules with their managers for planned days off. Provisions for staff PTO follows:
|Yale Staff Category||PTO Provision|
|Clerical and Technical, Security|
|Managerial and Professional|
|Service and Maintenance|
|Yale Police Benevolent Association (pre-Oct. 1, 2011, hire)|
Supporting staff PTO requests
Here’s how managers can create a supportive environment to accommodate employee’s requests for PTO throughout the year:
- Lead by example. When managers don’t take time off themselves, some employees may be hesitant to request time away.
- Discuss PTO scheduling in team meetings. This enables the coordination of responsibilities and overlapping of time off and builds a supportive work atmosphere within your team.
- Encourage work-life balance. Discuss the impact of unhealthy work habits and how the benefits of taking time off can enhance overall wellbeing, especially for staff who frequently tend to work beyond reasonable expectations.
- Emphasize that “unplugging” really means “no working” while on PTO.
- Promote use of the “delay send” email message feature to contain messaging during working hours.